How to choose a coffee table or a dining table?
In the dining room or in the living room, it is used to satiate, but also to draw, do homework, sew or play cards. But then how to choose it according to the space available and the number of people seated? And which shape or material should be favored according to the conditions of use? Ottoman Beds will guide you step by step in this difficult choice.
The chairs are the main decorative element of the dining table
What is the ideal table shape?
The rectangular table
- In large living rooms, the rectangular upholstered coffee table is also the favorite, especially with a corner sofa or two sofas facing each other.
The round table
Friendly, it promotes communication, circulation and ease, especially if it is mounted on a central foot.
Particularly well suited to square rooms that are difficult to furnish, it can also be placed in an angle to optimize space.
- In a living room, the coffee table fits perfectly between the sofa and the armchairs, especially if you have nesting tables.
As a dining table or coffee table, the round table avoids bumping into each other, a real advantage for the safety of young children.
The oval table
- The oval table is an interesting in-between. In addition, the elimination of angles makes it possible to comfortably place 2 guests at each end of the table, improving circulation
- As a coffee table, this practical shape is often found in nesting tables .
The square table
- The square table, like the round table, allows a great user-friendliness. Indeed, all the guests benefit from a good proximity, whether they are side by side or face to face.
- The square coffee table is a good option with a small 2-seater sofa.
What materials for your table?
The wooden table
A renewable material that works easily, wood is traditionally used in the design of furniture and tables. The wooden table is warm and robust. However, hardwoods such as oak, elm, ash or even acacia will resist scratches and knocks better than fir or pine.
You will still have to be careful, because all wood species are sensitive to heat, fats and liquids. This is the reason why cabinet makers apply a varnished, oiled or waxed finish .
Rectangular recycled wood table and natural rattan chairs
The metal table
Rarely used exclusively, with the exception of the industrial style or the living room coffee table, metal is often associated with wood, marble or concrete for a dining table. Also handy and resistant, it is on the other hand lighter and less expensive than wood, but it will not forgive you for scratches.
The marble table
This noble and rare material exists in a multitude of shades, all of the most beautiful effect. Distinguished and refined, the marble table is resistant to scratches, cold and heat.
Like wood, marble can be sanded and polished. If the marble table has many advantages, it has some disadvantages, especially in terms of weight and maintenance.
The concrete or terrazzo table
Design, the concrete table is all the rage in our modern homes despite its weight and porosity.
Terrazzo is also trendy. This material, widely used in construction in Italy since antiquity, has won furniture. Fashionable in the 1920s, a star of the art deco style , it has been making a comeback for ten years in our homes without drying up. Elegant and warm with its stone and marble inlays, the terrazzo table is not lacking in charm, especially on a magnificent wooden floor.